Kata kat or taka tak is a traditional Pakistani recipe popular all around the world. You can find very
best Kata kat in burns road, Karachi or Lakshmi Chowk, Lahore (notice the name difference in both the places) but taste will be as good as it can be. Below is the recipe you can try at home any time specially on Eid al-Adha (Eid ul-Azha).
lamb/mutton heart 250 grams
lamb/mutton kidney 250 grams
lamb/mutton liver 250 grams
lamb/mutton brains 2
yogurt 2 cups
fresh coriander leaves
garlic ginger paste 2 tbsp.
green chili 6 – 7
butter ½ cup
Black pepper 1 tsp. (crushed)
dry Fenugreek 1 tsp.
whole coriander 1 tbsp. (roasted and crushed)
cumin seeds 1 tbsp. (roasted and crushed)
crushed red chili 2 tbsp. or to taste
salt to taste
1. Wash and cut heart, liver and kidney into small cubes.
2. Boil two cups of water with half teaspoon turmeric (haldi) in a suace pan..
3. Now add lamb brains and boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Heat butter on griddle and add ginger garlic paste, heart, liver, kidney and yogurt in it.
5. Cover and cook for a while..
6. When heart, kidney and liver are tender, then add cumin, red chili, black pepper, crushed whole coriander, salt, turmeric and green chilies and cook well.
7. Now mix in fresh coriander leaves (about 1/2 bunch), fenugreek and brain, cook for 2 to 3 minutes..
8. Dish out and serve hot with naan or bread and raita (yogurt sauce).